Caps Kickstart 2014-2015 School Year

Caps Kickstart 2014-2015 School Year

Will Davison and John McCain, Head Editors

The bells have rung and classes have started signaling the beginning of the 85th year of Broughton High School’s existence with 2,100 students, 23 new staff members and a number of new policies.

For new students, this is a chance to start anew. For returning students this year offers an opportunity to catch up on old memories and start to make new ones. The year will bring chances to join new clubs, challenge each other in class and have fun at athletic events and dances.

Principal Stephen Mares looks forward to helping students expand their borders and grow academically and socially.

“My goals have a safe year where students can grow and I hope we can actively support our teachers,” Mares said. He outlined two important academic goals.

“We also hope to increase the rate of students who are moving from 9th to 10th grade, and increase our graduation rate,” Mares said.

There are a few notable. U.S. History has now been spread out over two years, unlike in previous years when it was only a yearlong class. In addition, AP U.S. History and AP Biology have been reduced from a daily class to an A/B block schedule class that meets every other day.

The biggest change any student or faculty member will find this year is the new grading policy that has been implemented.  All teachers will use points to determine students’ grades. In previous years, the teachers were allowed more flexibility in their grading and could use percentages or points on assessments.

There is a lot to look forward to this year at Broughton. As the year goes on people will see how different Broughton is and the opportunities that are unique to Broughton.

Mares want new arrivals to see feel welcome.

“They’ve come to a special place that this place has a lot of history and tradition, but we continue to build. There is a place for everyone here,” Mares said.