The student news site of Broughton High School in Raleigh, North Carolina

The Hi-Times

The Hi-Times

The Hi-Times

Photo courtesy of https://nc211.org/voting/
Why You Should Vote
March 19, 2024
Golden Gate Bridge safety net
Photo Courtesy of East Idaho News
Golden Gate Bridge Net
March 19, 2024

Revamped Lynard Skynard

Lynard Skynard, singer of popular songs like “Free Bird”, “Gimme Three Steps”, “Tuesday’s Gone”, and “Sweet Home Alabama”, is back on tour.

The original band members were vocalist Ronnie Van Zant, guitarists Gary Rossington and Allen Collins, bassist Larry Junstrom, and drummer Bob Burns.  

A tragic plane crash in 1977 killed three of the band members. Rossington was the only one to survive. All Lynard Skynard founding members are deceased as of March 5th, 2023, after the last standing member, Gary Rossington, died at 71. He died at his home in Milton, Georgia, with an unrevealed cause of death.

Although the original members are all deceased, Lynard Sknard continues its tour in 2023, co-headlining with ZZ Top. 

The tour began on June 21st in West Palm Beach, Florida, and continues with shows in North Carolina, Chicago, and more before wrapping up in New Jersey on September 17th. 

The current line-up of new members features Johnny Van Zant, Rickey Medlocke, Mark “Sparky” Matejka, Michael Cartellone, Keith Christopher, Peter Keys, Carol Chase, and Stacy Michelle. 

Lynard Skynard is in a unique position with its extinction of founding members; other famous bands, such as The Rolling Stones or The Beatles, all have remaining founding members alive. 

About the Contributor
Avery Campbell
Avery Campbell, Reporter