The student news site of Broughton High School in Raleigh, North Carolina

The Hi-Times

The Hi-Times

The Hi-Times

Photo courtesy of https://nc211.org/voting/
Why You Should Vote
March 19, 2024
Golden Gate Bridge safety net
Photo Courtesy of East Idaho News
Golden Gate Bridge Net
March 19, 2024

Saint Patrick’s Day

Saint+Patrick%E2%80%99s+Day+%0APhoto+Courtesy+of+Ebay+
Saint Patrick’s Day Photo Courtesy of Ebay

Unlike holidays like Easter, where the date changes every year, Saint Patrick’s Day falls on the same date every year: March 17th. Only the day of the week changes; this year, the holiday is on a Sunday. 

Saint Patrick’s Day originated as a religious holiday in Ireland to honor Saint Patrick. Saint Patrick was a Patron Saint of Ireland who died around the fifth century, 12 centuries before today’s version of the holiday was first established. The holiday falls on the supposed date of Saint Patrick’s death: March 17th. Over time, the holiday evolved into a celebration of Irish culture and heritage through festivals, wearing green, and feasting. Today, Saint Patrick’s Day is celebrated not only in Ireland but also in many other parts of the world. 

Leprechauns, gold, rainbows, and luck are all connected to Saint Patrick’s Day through Irish folklore and tradition. Leprechauns were first written about in old Irish fables, which is why they are incorporated into this Irish holiday. Leprechauns are said to hide pots of gold at the end of rainbows, and the green, lucky clovers represent the good luck and fortune that the holiday embodies. If you catch a leprechaun, they are said to grant you three wishes to let them go. This is a fun family tradition, with the idea behind leprechaun traps being part of Irish folklore.  

“My sisters used to try to catch leprechauns,” states Broughton student Kate Fields.

How many people celebrate St. Patrick’s Day? According to Git Nux, 54 percent of Americans celebrated St. Patrick’s Day in 2022, spending approximately $5.87 billion on prep and celebrations. I asked some students at Broughton if they celebrate; let’s hear the replies. 

”No, I don’t really celebrate, nobody celebrates,” states Sophomore Ashlyn Schlosser. 

“Yes, I will be wearing green,” says Annalise Young. 

“No, I will not be celebrating other than wearing green to not get pinched,” says Mr. Schmidt, English and Speech teacher. 

“Yes, I will be wearing green, “ both Kate Fields and Analee Apple mention. These statements represent the mixed opinions of Broughton students and teachers on whether or not to celebrate this holiday. 

The tradition of pinching people on Saint Patrick’s Day is believed to have originated from the idea that wearing green makes you invisible to pinching leprechauns. Therefore, if someone isn’t wearing green on Saint Patrick’s Day, they are “visible” to leprechauns and subject to getting pinched, hence why people wear green on St. Patrick’s Day. 

“You have to wear green, “ says Sophomore Analee Apple. Mr. Johnson has been consistently wearing green for quite some years, “I probably haven’t gotten pinched in about ten years,” he states. 

Getting pinched on St. Patrick’s Day is a fun reminder to wear green, which is supposed to keep you safe from leprechaun mischief. It is very common to get pinched if you are not wearing green.
  “Pinch me, I’m Irish,” jokes Analise Young. 

“Yes, it hurts,” Kate Fields adds when asked if she has ever gotten pinched before. 

Teachers, primarily elementary ones, try to incorporate the holiday into their classroom lessons. Although, when students age, teachers are less likely to have St. Patrick’s Day-related lessons. 

“I love it when teachers do that; it’s more fun,”  Analee says when asked if she likes it incorporated in the classroom. 

“I do not incorporate Saint Patrick’s Day into the classroom, but I do wear green,” Mr. Johnson said.

About the Contributor
Avery Campbell
Avery Campbell, Reporter