Broughton’s next top models

Miuccia Prada once said, “What you wear is who you present yourself to the world, especially today, when human contacts are so quick. Fashion is an instant language.” Broughton is home to many young minds who partake in the art of this instant language.

This year, the spotlight shined on Ava Closs’s fashion show.

The show was sponsored by money from Broughton’s Distinct Youth club.

The show took place on Friday, March 31 in the auditorium and was largely student involved. The doors opened at 6, and the show started at 7:30. Students attended and participated in the show.

Tickets for admittance for the fashion show were sold for $5 in the cafeteria days prior to the show, and sold for $7 at the door upon show night.

Ava Closs, English teacher, and Lindsey Laster, student teacher, are at the helm of the fashion show this year. When Laster was introduced to the show by Closs, she was handed a program from 1996, evidence of a two-decade tradition.

“I think it’s a way for students to be confident in themselves and express their individuality. It also brings together the community,” Laster said.

Laster has been dancing since age 7 and continued her passion throughout college at Johnson C Smith University. She is launching a web site at the end of February that features original choreography.

“I think everyone should take a class where they can develop and show their creativity,” Laster said.  

Thirty-two students participated in the show. They obtained clothes from various local clothing stores, which were featured in the show.  

“I think it’s cool to be able to dress up, and it feels professional since it’s not my own clothes,” fashion show participant and junior Jemima LIteli said.

The fashion show offers a creative opportunity for an array of students. Needless to say, it was a hit!