Drama students salute great american classic with spring musical

Broughton’s drama department will stage a production of the musical “Hello, Dolly!” April 10 and 11.

First performed on Broadway in the 1960’s, “Hello, Dolly!” is a classic musical about a matchmaker named Dolly Levi who takes a trip to Yonkers, New York, to meet with the wealthy Horace Vandergelder.

Dolly finds love for Vandergelder’s clerks and staff, causing love triangles and romance complications.

As the schools biggest production of the year, the spring musical brings together actors, singers, band students, tech theatre, costume designers and makeup artists around the school to make the show a success.

With promising talent from the whole cast, the play is destined for a standing ovation. Tickets are $5 for students and $7 for everyone else. The schools rendition of Hello, Dolly! will st

People should come out and support our school’s performing arts program and fellow classmates, as well as see a great show

— Tex Lindsey

ar Elin Waring, Skylar Fisher, Tex Lindsey and DaRay Sai Graham to name a few of the leads. The cast has been working since early January to memorize lines, practice their queues and put on an impressive show.

Hello, Dolly! is based on the 1938 novel by Thorton Wilder “The Merchant of Yonkers,” later revised and renamed “The Matchmaker.”

The original Broadway production of “Hello, Dolly!” won ten Tony Awards, including “Best Musical”. In 1969, Hello, Dolly! Was made into a film directed by Gene Kelly, starring Barbara Streisand. The movie got major recognition and won three Oscars, bringing more fame and attention to the classic play.

“I love the theatre, classic movies and musicals, so I’m excited to see our amazing theatre department put on a fantastic production. I’ve heard so many great things about the cast this will surely be the best play of the year. After seeing The Westing Games, I’m especially excited to see what some of our school’s talented actors and actresses will bring next.” sophomore Caroline Holden said.

Drama teacher Julie Florin is directing the play, chorus teacher Christine Conley is the music director. Dance teacher Betsy Graves is choreographing.

“People should come out and support our school’s performing arts program and fellow classmates, as well as see a great show” Tex Lindsey said.