Clinton rally at Broughton canceled

Much to the disappointment of many Broughton students and faculty, the Hillary Clinton presidential primary rally that was scheduled for Thursday, March 10 has been canceled.

The Clinton campaign had contacted the school Tuesday about Clinton making an appearance on campus.  She is traveling to the state in advance of the March 15 North Carolina primary election.

“That’s part of campaigning. They try to schedule events but then the candidate’s schedule gets changed or adjusted,” Principal Mares said.

Many students were excited about the rally.

“I think that it was going to be a good event, but so many moving pieces were in play. The candidates have a grueling schedule heading towards November,” junior Mckenzie Dubois said.

Some teachers saw this as an educational opportunity for both students and faculty. Humanities teacher David Christian was one of those teachers.

“I am disappointed to hear that the Clinton campaign has canceled, as I saw this as an opportunity for our students and staff to get an up close view of the political process,” Christian stated.

The Young Republicans planned a silent demonstration outside of the Small Gym, where the event was being held. They were planning to have a silent protest, per junior Jack Messenger.    

“It was going to be very mature and formal. We were going to be nicely dressed and well-behaved,” Messenger said.