The student news site of Broughton High School in Raleigh, North Carolina

The Hi-Times

The Hi-Times

The Hi-Times

New NC Fair Foods
December 4, 2023
Taylor Swift at the Chiefs game in New York
Swift and Kelce
December 4, 2023
Trump Trouble
December 4, 2023

Jokes to lighten up your day

I think we could all use a little more comedy in our lives to lighten things up during these tough times. I collected some jokes from students around Broughton, all of which made me chuckle, and I hope they’ll do the same for you. 

Some people’s favorite jokes are of the ‘dad’ variety, such as:

“Why did the old man fall into a well? Because he couldn’t see that well.” (Kellen Reif, senior)

“Why was the frog smiling? Because he was hoppy!” (Maddie Wyatt, junior)

“What’s at the bottom of the ocean and shivers? A nervous wreck.” (Hattie Creech, senior)

Funny, right?  If that’s not your type of humor, you may like longer anecdotes, such as this one that was submitted by senior Talin Royal:

“Ok, so I was on a car ride with my friend, right? We had just gotten back from the museum and he got into the driver’s seat and me in the shotgun. We were going to his aunt’s house, right? Ok so get this. He starts the car, right? And then I leave the door open and I make no effort to close it, right? And then he goes, ‘hey, we can’t go, your door is ajar’ get this, right? I say to him, ‘no it’s not, it’s a door’, do you not get it? It’s funny, right? It’s like a play on words and it’s funny, right? Haha, would you like me to repeat it? Ok, so get this, right?”

Wow, that was a lot. Maybe that was the funniest thing you’ve ever read, or maybe it didn’t quite hold your attention. Hey, if you like math, you might like this next one!

“What do you call a snake that’s exactly 3.14 feet long? A pi-thon!” (Kimmie Tomczak, junior)

I know what you’re all thinking. Not biologically accurate. Not all snakes are pythons. I know, it came as a shock to me too. But they can’t all be zingers AND scientifically correct… I found these all pretty funny. But if you aren’t laughing yet, this last one is guaranteed to get you. The joke that started all jokes. Junior Elijah Bartlett says his favorite is the classic,“why did the chicken cross the road?” wait for it… “to get to the other SIDE!” 

I hope reading this has lightened your mood, or made your day a little better, or at least put a smile on your face. Remember, laughter is the best medicine!