Men’s soccer kicks up a storm

Ford Hester, Reporter

Men’s soccer is back and better than ever for this year’s fall season. This year the team is led by captains Matt Brickhouse, Chris Vlaholpus, Jack Krueger and Trey Morton and is coached by Nick Wheeler.

The team is off to an unprecedented start. They are are first in the conference with a record of 12-1-2. The team has not been at its traditional form the past few seasons, but is looking to return to its historic greatness.

“Our goal is to win the conference championship, and with hard work I think we can do it,” junior Bryant O’Neal, a forward, said.

“We weren’t as good at the beginning of the season, but we have gotten better from practicing and we’ve built chemistry making us a better team”, O’Neal said.

Many on the team have their eyes set on the conference championship and possibly a state championship. The team is improving through practice and trying to nail downtheir cohesiveness as a squad. At a recent practice, assistant coach Langdon Clay posed a question to the team. He asked them, “What finger? What finger are you guys going to put your state championship ring on? I’m serious, this team is good enough.”

All the pieces have come together perfectly for this team, with new players coming from all over. The team has had new players join the team this year from places as far away as Austria and Seattle.

“We have the individual talent, we just need to put everything together and execute to have success,” said O’Neal.

The team lost its first game last Wednesday to Sanderson, but rebounded with a win against Wakefield. The team is hopeful that this loss won’t affect them in the long run.

They clinched the Cap-8 Championship with a 2-1 victory over Enloe on Senior Night.

On the other side, the Junior Varsity soccer team also has high goals this season. They have also practicing hard, working on their teamwork and shooting. The team is working together to try and put together a winning record.

“The team is always improving, we get better every year” sophomore de- fender Lawson Wall said.