The student news site of Broughton High School in Raleigh, North Carolina

The Hi-Times

The Hi-Times

The Hi-Times

Photo courtesy of https://nc211.org/voting/
Why You Should Vote
March 19, 2024
Golden Gate Bridge safety net
Photo Courtesy of East Idaho News
Golden Gate Bridge Net
March 19, 2024

2023 US Open

The 2023 US Open was an exciting event that concluded on September 10th. The men’s champion was Novak Djokovic while the Women’s champion was Coco Gauff. The men’s finalist was Daniil Medvedev while the women’s finalist was Aryna Sablenka. The men’s draw consists of the best of five-set matches while the women’s is the best of three sets. A lot of excitement was generated from the fact that Coco Gauff is the first American since Serena Williams to win the US Open in singles. The tournament also consisted of many exciting and close matches in both the men’s and women’s draws.

Some notable matches included the epic five-setter between Jannik Sinner and Alexander Zverev in the fourth round and the Alcaraz vs Medvedev thriller in the semifinals. Both these matches encapsulated the exciting tournament that took place this year. Ultimately, the world number two Novak Djokovic won the men’s draw by easily beating world number three Daniil Medvedev in a lopsided final.

The women’s draw was even more exciting with notable matches being Coco Gauff vs Caroline Wozniaki and the thrilling final between world number two Aryna Sabalenka and world number six Gauff. The champion ultimately was Gauff who solidified her status as the next star of women’s tennis.

The tournament also changed the world rankings significantly by causing the dominant thirty-six-year-old Novak Djokovic to replace Carlos Alcaraz as the world number one in men’s tennis and Aryna Sabalenka to replace Iga Swiatek as the world number one in women’s tennis.

About the Contributor
Will Calingaert
Will Calingaert, Reporter