The student news site of Broughton High School in Raleigh, North Carolina

The Hi-Times

The Hi-Times

The Hi-Times

Photo courtesy of https://nc211.org/voting/
Why You Should Vote
March 19, 2024
Golden Gate Bridge safety net
Photo Courtesy of East Idaho News
Golden Gate Bridge Net
March 19, 2024

Americans buying European football clubs

Soccer, or Football, as most people call it, is one of the most popular sports around the world, but only ranks sixth in the US. However, American celebrities are beginning to invest in European soccer teams. The first major purchase was in 2011, when Lebron James invested in Premier League team, Liverpool. The most notable and popular investment was made by  Ryan Reynolds and Rob McElhenney, purchasing the Welsh club, Wrexham. 

Other recent investments include Tom Brady investing in Birmingham City, Drake and Lebron partnering and investing in AC Milan, and Michael B Jordan investing in AFC Bournemouth. These are only the biggest names as half of the 20 English Premier League teams are partially or fully owned by Americans. The Welsh club, Wrexham, has revolutionized this process. In just two short years with Rob McElhenney and Ryan Reynolds at the helm, the club was promoted to English Football League, League 2, which is the fourth tier of English football where did they get promoted from?.

The popularity of big name celebrities investing in sports teams is only increasing their range of fame. Although they are not complete owners, and the teams may not be the best, the value of the clubs is constantly increasing, making the investment worth it. The only thing holding more millionaires back is the high prices current owners are asking for.

These investments are not only increasing the fame of the celebrities, but also the fame of the sport in the US. If the sport continues to gain American popularity, we could see even more celebrities buying stakes into European clubs, and an even greater following of Major League Soccer in America (The MLS).