Rapper Takeoff shot

Image courtesy of The Guardian

Ben Brewer, Reporter

Famed rapper Kirshnik Khari Ball, known professionally as Takeoff, was shot on Nov. 1 in Houston, Texas. Takeoff was a member of the hip-hop group Migos. Takeoff started performing with Migos in 2008. They had many hits, most notably “Versace” in 2013. Takeoff also produced solo songs including  “Casper”, “WHO? WHAT?” with Travis Scott, and many more.

Kirshnik Khari Ball, or “Takeoff” was born on June 18, 1994 in Lawrenceville, Georgia. He lived with his mother. He was very close with his uncle Quavious Marshall, better known as “Quavo.” He also had a very good relationship with his cousin Kiari Cephus, most well known as “Offset.” These three family members made up the famous rap group Migos. They began making music in 2008, but really broke into the industry in 2011. Their 2013 single “Versace” was the first to top the charts.

Takeoff was attending a private party on Nov. 1 at a bowling alley in Houston, Texas where he was shot. Takeoff was supposedly watching a game of dice on the third floor of the building when shots were fired. Many people fled, and two others were injured with non-life threatening injuries.

Takeoff was shot in the head or neck area, and was pronounced dead at the scene. Suspects have not been taken into custody, according to the New York Times.

Broughton students are upset at his death as he was beloved by many.

“It is a very sad thing because he was the best person in Migos and he was a great guy I think,” Sophomore John Openshaw says.

Many students thought of Migos as the great trio. Now they will think of Migos as a duo.

“I think it is sad because the Trio is gone, now it is just Mig instead of Migos,”Sophomore Webb Crumpler says.