The student news site of Broughton High School in Raleigh, North Carolina

The Hi-Times

The Hi-Times

The Hi-Times

Photo courtesy of https://nc211.org/voting/
Why You Should Vote
March 19, 2024
Golden Gate Bridge safety net
Photo Courtesy of East Idaho News
Golden Gate Bridge Net
March 19, 2024

Maui fires

This year, Maui, Hawaii, has gone through a horrific tragedy. Recently, a fire broke out on the island that had catastrophic effects. Many residents are very distraught at the sight of the losses and the damage to the island. 

The fires started on August 8th, 2023, with a cause that the New York Times stated as an “intentional and malicious mismanagement of power lines.” The board members and officials in Maui have blamed the island’s largest electrical company for the start of the fires. They refused to respond to concerns about the state of the powerlines in strong, hefty winds. Most parts of Maui are very dry and full of vegetation. With the dry vegetation and wind fuel, the fire rapidly spread across the island. 

The fire has caused a lot of damage to the buildings, coastlines, and farmland in Maui. Pictures of the disaster depict many buildings in Lahaina burnt to the ground. Rescuers and first responders claimed that the total death toll was 115 in the month of August. Studies show that over 2,170 acres, or 3.4 square miles of the island, were destroyed by the fire. The total area of Maui is approximately 727 square miles, so with this said, it is clear to see that the fires have burned through a lot of land. 

Many families are devastated at the loss of their homes, friends, families, and community members. Despite responders recovering 115 bodies, no one knows if there are any more deaths that rescuers cannot find. Many people jumped into the water and swam away to avoid the fires, possibly adding to this death toll. The nation mourns the loss of many Americans throughout this disaster.

About the Contributor
Ben Brewer
Ben Brewer, Reporter