The Hi-Times

The Hi-Times

Filed under News

Will it snow this year?

There is no better feeling than waking up, looking out the window, and seeing the world outside covered in a blanket of snow. Some students would choose to spend the day running around outside, while others would rather cozy up by the fire with some hot cocoa. Either way, we can all agree that snow days are the best.

This brings up the question: will it snow this year? As you probably know, Raleigh hasn’t delivered very well in the past few years. Though we had almost five inches in the winter of 2014-15, we got less than two inches every winter since then.

Luckily, the Farmer’s Almanac claims that this winter will be colder and wetter than average. As usual, January and early February will be the coldest months, and when snow is most likely.

Students who are planning a ski trip should plan for January 20-23, February 4-7 & 16-19, and March 1-3. These dates are very likely to have heavy precipitation, according to the Farmer’s Almanac. They describe this coming winter as “wintry chill, wet and white”.

As many readers may know, there is a chance of snow this Friday, December 8th. WRAL reports “precipitation that could potentially include a light wintry mix for parts of the area.” If school was to be cancelled Friday, the first makeup day would be December 22, which is the first day of winter break.

For most students, the idea of having snow this winter is very exciting.  

“It cancels school and I can play football in the snow,” sophomore Joey Burroughs said.

While most students look forward to snow, others would rather stay warm. Sophomore Alton Russell doesn’t like missing school because we still have to make it up.

For those who don’t like snow, Raleigh is a good place to be. Even if we get some snow, it should only be for a maximum of a few days, though weather is always unpredictable. For now, all we can do it wait and see.