Teel town returns temporarily

They say the third time’s the charm.

If that is true, then the next few months should be a great experience for Interim principal Roy Teel. He has served as a leader at Broughton three times and  been a member of the faculty for a combined total of almost 20 years.  

Teel has returned for possibly three months until a permanent replacement is found for Stephen Mares who left to head Athens Drive High School in late October.

“When I walked in this morning it was like, did I ever leave? It just felt very comfortable, very natural,” Teel said.

Teel first joined the Broughton community in 1971 as a history teacher. He taught history from 1971 to 1978, and in 1978 became the assistant principal until 1986. During his time as assistant principal, Teel served as the interim principal in 1985 for three months when the principal was called to Cary High School for a few months.

Teel left in 1986 and returned in 2005 as principal. Teel was the principal of Broughton for four years, from 2005 to 2009, before retiring.

According to Teel, most interim principals only serve for one to three months months. Since retiring in 2009, Teel has served as an interim principal at many different schools.

Teel said Broughton will always be his favorite.

“I bleed purple and gold. Broughton is definitely my home,” Teel said.

As an interim principal Teel does not have the responsibility of long-term issues.  He concentrates on the day-to-day operation of the school of 2,100 students and 150 faculty members.

After working as a teacher, assistant principal, interim principal, and principal of Broughton, Teel said that the best job was as assistant principal. As assistant principal Teel was an administrator, but still worked closely with students, which he really enjoys. Teel was responsible for the senior class and all student activities.

“I really enjoyed working closely with students when I was assistant principal. That was the best part of the job,” Teel said.