Soiree supports students

On Thursday, November 19, The Capital Foundation held a Soiree at CAM Raleigh to raise donations for the foundation.

The Needham B. Broughton Capital Foundation is a nonprofit corporation that provides funding for projects at Broughton High School that enrich the lives of students and faculty and enhance the campus and facilities.

The night was such a unique event. It was really cool to see all of Broughton’s alumni and parents support our fantastic school

— Will Beasley

The foundation has provided the school with many notable donations such as Broughton’s WebAssign license, Writers in Residence Programs, Shakespearean residency for theatre students, cameras, iPads, document cameras, teleprompters and equipment for WCAP, stereo equipment and more.

The Soiree was the first event the foundation has ever had to gather donors and attempt to raise funding.

“The Capital Foundation is unique to Broughton and provides us with invaluable resources that help propel our students to excellence,” principal Stephen Mares said.

Speakers of the night were Broughton graduate and former Raleigh Mayor Smedes York, as well as Broughton’s former band director JR Richardson.

“Students still contact me to this day to thank me for helping them live out their dream of performing in the [Pasadena] Rose Bowl Parade. We couldn’t have done it without the Capital Foundation’s help and sponsorship,” Richardson said.

Since 2004, the foundation has funded more than $310,000 in supplies, technology, tools and continuing education opportunities. It has also awarded over $44,000 in recognition of excellence in instruction.

The event was organized by the 2015 planning committee: Beth Beasley, Laura Bell, Maureen Bizyak, Bee Brakebill, Barrett Brewer, Lisa Brown, Barbara Bunn, Gray Carlin, Deb Finan, Sandy Haar, Peyton Hatfield, Leigh Krause, Harris Mason, Meredith Miller, Lisa Ralls, Amanda Ramseur, Joy Ruhmann, Shelley Schrum, Jayne Teel and  Rhett Warner.

Student council representatives student body president Will Beasley, vice-president Daisy King, junior Keegan Quirk, and junior Ben Ralls were in attendance to answer questions about current Broughton happenings.

Senior Aaron Gottfried showcased a video he made about the foundation through an internship with Broughton’s film teacher, Traci Clarke.

“The night was such a unique event. It was really cool to see all of Broughton’s alumni and parents support our fantastic school,” Beasley said.