The student news site of Broughton High School in Raleigh, North Carolina

The Hi-Times

The Hi-Times

The Hi-Times

Photo courtesy of https://nc211.org/voting/
Why You Should Vote
March 19, 2024

Bernie’s burn out

Photo: Sarah Cutshall, Pitt News

Bernie Sanders has officially announced his resignation from the Democratic Primary.  On April 8th, the Senator from Vermont announced his resignation, saying “I know there may be some in our movement who disagree with this decision, who would like us to fight on until the last ballot cast at the Democratic convention. I understand that position. But as I see the crisis gripping the nation, exacerbated by a president unwilling or unable to provide any kind of credible leadership and the work that needs to be done to protect people in this most desperate hour, I could not in good conscience continue to mount a campaign that cannot not win and which would interfere with the important work required by all of us in this difficult hour.”     

Earlier in the speech he emphasized the importance of his campaign, and how he would continue to work towards a greener future for America, and universal healthcare for all, before congratulating Joe Biden on the nomination. 

While Sanders’ departure from the race gives democrats a clear candidate, it doesn’t mean that all Democrats feel united under the candidate. Despite the endorsements from every other candidate, from Sanders’ to Booker’s, and even an endorsement from his once boss,  former President Barack Obama, many democrats feel uneasy about Biden.

A recent allegation of sexual misconduct does little to help Biden’s image with voters. Tara Reade, a former staff assistant for Biden, has forward saying that Biden sexually assaulted her while in the senate. The Biden campaign has denied the allegation. 

Biden won the nomination that most said was far out of his reach, but he will need to do more to secure a path to the White House. Will he be able to unite the Democratic party, or is 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue too far out of his reach?

PHOTO: JIM LO SCALZO/EPA-EFE/SHUTTERSTOCK.