eSports high school to open in Japan

Image courtesy of Business of eSports

A video gaming high school sounds pretty far-fetched, but it may soon be a reality.

eSports Koutou Gakuin, also dubbed eSports high school, is the name of the soon-to-be establishment in Tokyo. The school is backed by the  Japanese soccer team, Tokyo Verdy’s esports team, and NTT, a Japanese telecommunications company. The institution is located in Shibuya eSports stadium, in Tokyo’s Shibuya district. The facility is home to 40 high-end gaming computers with powerful graphics cards and processors that will be used to play“First Person Shooter, Third-Person Shooter, Real-Time Strategy, [and] Multiplayer Online Battle Arena” games, the school’s website claims.

Along with eSports gaming, students will still learn the standard Japanese curriculum. They will also be taught how to take care of themselves including both their mental and physical health, which are important skills to have, especially in the competitive gaming scene. Playing games and using a computer for extended periods of time comes with many health risks, including “Overuse injuries of the hand, Obesity, Muscle and joint problems, Eyestrain, Behavioural problems,” according to the Victoria Department of Health.

While this may seem far-fetched, gaming is a massively growing and incredibly lucrative industry, both in the development and playing of games professionally. High school is not required in Japan and typically high school is adjacent to trade schools. The gaming industry is one with many job opportunities, so having a trade school for it really isn’t out of the norm. “eSports High School is positioning itself as a trade school for the growing and diversifying gaming media sphere,” says Japanese news publication Japan Today.