Maintain your brain

Designed by Charlotte Fullbright

On Saturday, March 23 from 1-4 pm, high school bands from all over Wake County will perform at the Maintain Your Brain fundraiser located on the front lawn of Broughton High School. This will be the first annual Maintain Your Brain Battle of the Bands and it’s a must-go-to event. There will be booths raising awareness for many neurological health issues; there will be food trucks and t-shirts will be for sale. Tickets are $5 and can be purchased at the event as well as online at: maintainyourbrainnc.com. This year’s beneficiary is the Triangle Aphasia Project which works with people who have aphasia and their families communities to help maximize their communication and reduce social isolation and barriers. Aphasia, for those who don’t know, is the loss of ability to express and/or understand speech, and is usually caused by a stroke.

Charlotte Fullbright, a sophomore here at Broughton, is the organizer of this event. Neurological health is a personal issue for Fullbright, as her grandfather was affected by a brain hemorrhage stroke and dementia runs in her family. She, along with many other students from Wake County, will be leading the event.

“This is  going to be a really fun community and family event, and a great way to spend an afternoon to help out a great cause,” Fullbright said.

The Wake County High School Student Advisory Team includes Elise Rowley, Grey Thompson, Jamel Clarke, Will Edmondson, Sydney Hartis, and Anna Pace.  The Broughton High School Faculty Advisory Team includes Dr. Elena Ashburn, Mr. Michael Lentz, Mr. Michael MacGovern, Ms. Juliana Pattisall-Williams, and Mr. David Ratledge. Fullbright was asked if she planned on continuing Maintain Your Brain Battle of the Bands as an annual event.

“Yes, and hopefully we will be able to work with other neurological health-based organizations in the future,” Fullbright said.

Students here at Broughton, as well people in the  community, can do various things to support this great cause including buying t-shirts, registering to volunteer (this would be a great way to get community service hours), or by donating any sum of money online.

Student bands from all over Wake County were able to apply for this event, and the winning band will have the chance to open for someone of the same musical genre at Raleigh’s own Lincoln’s Theatre.