Farewell to Mr. King

As we prepared to crown our Queen, we had to say farewell to our King. Xavier King, Broughton’s Assistant Principal, left on January 27th to become the Assistant Principal at Martin Middle School.

“My only experience has been at high schools. I know how a typical freshman or a senior thinks, but I really want to learn more about middle schools. I know I’m also really excited about all the great electives at Martin and to see my students really explore their passions,” King said.
  King taught AP US History and American History in Gaston and later taught World History, Civics and Economics, and African-American Studies in Charlotte. After deciding that he wanted to move into administration, he went to graduate school at the University of North Carolina Chapel Hill.

After attending graduate school, he taught at Middle Creek High School and Heritage High School. King arrived at Broughton in 2015 to become the new Assistant Principal.

“Mr. King is thorough, gentlemanly, and a man of his word. He cares deeply about the success of students,” English teacher Ava Closs said.

Despite being excited about his position at Martin, King holds a special place for Broughton in his heart.

“I’ll really miss the people and the uniqueness. There is no other school in this county, this state, even this country, that comes close to Broughton. It is just so special. It’s actually starting to hit me right now. I’m having these conversations with people and I’m just soaking it all in,” King said.

King recalled his most memorable experiences at Broughton, including his first Queen of Hearts assembly and watching students with autism grow.

“I just remember being in awe. At first I thought it was just another assembly but when you really look at it, it’s so special, it’s great. I’ve also enjoyed seeing our students with autism and how they’ve socialized with our other students,” King said.

As he prepared to leave, King left some lasting advice for his beloved students at Broughton.

“Half of the battle is showing up, and once you’re there never give up. Showing up to school, a meeting, a class, even a test makes all the difference. I think the people who are most successful in life are the ones who show up and don’t give up,” King said.