Queen of Hearts funks it up

It’s the most wonderful time of the year here at Broughton, no not the holidays, but Queen of Hearts season! The chatter about Queen of Hearts can be heard throughout the halls as the students prepare for dance on February 4.

Queen of Hearts has a long line of history that many students don’t even know about. Queen of Hearts began as a PTA-sponsored carnival that took place in November. At the Carnival a queen was chosen along with the queen’s court.

During wartime in the 1940’s, the journalism class at the time used the carnival as a way to raise money for the war effort. In the 1950’s the dance was moved to February and the queen was selected by just the senior class.Many Queen of Hearts traditions carry on today and the excitement level for this dance is always high. The tradition of the Queen of Hearts assembly is still used today.  

In each staircase you can hear a guy asking how they should ask their date to the dance. Each year the guys go all out and get all sorts of fancy when they ask the lucky girl to accompany them to Queen of Hearts. Broughton is a special place because the Holliday Gym is able to hold to hold the whole student body. At the annual assembly the skit is performed and talented students show off their skills in front of the whole school.

But the most important aspect of the assembly is when the Queen of Hearts and her court are presented to the whole student body. Each year the Queen is voted on by the student body. The Queen always wears a white dress when being presented.

This years freshmen court is Shania Davis, Shamaria Massenburg, Trinity Teixeira, Liz Weil. The sophomore court is Ciara Brown, Ella Dyer, Lekira Moore, Brianna Pineda, Demya Pratt, Tyla Smith. The junior court is Amelia Bond, Leaha Renee Burgess, Katherine Champion, Annabelle Corchiani, Emma Crofton, Selen Gizlice, Abby Manring, Alden Willis. The senior court is Dayshia Austin, Anna Dillon, Molly Dillon, Skylar Fisher, Shalanda Hall, Qahhaara Jackson, Samantha Messie, Dasia Mitchell, Ryan Murphy, Zoe Neijna, Tiauna Richardson, Daffney Smith-Sanders.

This years theme for the dance is Boogiewonderland and the dance will take place on February 4 from 9p.m. to midnight.

“Boogiewonderland is different. Usually Queen of Hearts is based around a movie and the decorations are predictable. This year we have room for creativity. I’m really excited to see it all come together” senior class president Lawson Wall said.

In each staircase Broughton students can hear a guy worrying about who will be his date and how he will ask his date.

“This is my first Queen of Hearts and I’m still searching for an idea of how to ask my date,” freshman Mason Bunn said.

After students have secured their dates, or friend group,  they will boogie their way over to the Boogiewonderland themed gym. The girls come dressed in their long dresses and the guys come dressed in their tuxes.

This year Broughton is extremely lucky to have Liquid Pleasure performing at the dance. With such a widely known band the students are excited to hear Liquid Pleasure perform live.

On February 4, the student body will boogie till they fall and fun will be had by all.