The student news site of Broughton High School in Raleigh, North Carolina

The Hi-Times

The Hi-Times

The Hi-Times

Photo courtesy of https://nc211.org/voting/
Why You Should Vote
March 19, 2024

A Return to the Classroom

Returning to the classroom will be nothing like it has been in years past. Wake County will be taking extra safety measures to ensure the safety of its students and faculty. Some of the many changes being made are that desks will be six feet apart, and the school system will require facial coverings. As much as we would like to all return together, we will be split into two separate groups to allow for smaller class sizes. There will be required temperature screenings before entering any building on campus. 

With Broughton being such a large school, there will be many challenges if Wake County decides to let its students return to in-person learning. Some are concerned teachers will have difficulty enforcing these rules. They will have to implement facial coverings being worn at all times as well as social distancing. If you need additional information, WCPSS has made a Return-To-School PDF document to answer any further questions. 

Assuming that our state continues to follow the rules and our case count continues to go down, we would transition into Plan B blended instruction, which will allow in-person learning as well as Virtual learning. However, if you have signed up for WCPSS Virtual Academy, you may continue in the academy, or you may choose plan B.

Parents have taken out their frustrations with the county and its policies on Facebook by creating a private group called “Wake County Families to Safely Reopen Schools.” Even when driving around Raleigh, and nearby areas, you will notice signs placed by parents with kids in WCPSS. For many parents, having kids at home is not ideal. Most parents have jobs they need to attend to, in addition to having kids at home that they are trying to help teach, and the work situation for both is not perfect. Many parents have also been forced to make hard decisions, such as sending their child to daycare, which adds cost.