The student news site of Broughton High School in Raleigh, North Carolina

The Hi-Times

The Hi-Times

The Hi-Times

Photo courtesy of https://nc211.org/voting/
Why You Should Vote
March 19, 2024

Senator Kamala Harris is chosen as running mate for Joe Biden

Kamala Harris speaks at the 2020 Democratic National Convention. Photo by Carolyn Kaster
via Los Angeles Times

The United States senator for California, Kamala Harris, has been chosen by Democratic candidate, Joe Biden, to be his running mate in the upcoming Presidential election. Biden’s choice of a female running mate doesn’t come as a shock. At the beginning of his campaign, Biden promised to choose a female running mate, as The United States has never had a woman Vice President in office before. The highest-ranking woman in American politics is Nancy Pelosi, who is currently the Speaker for the House. Should Biden win the election in November, Harris will make history as the first female and person of color Vice President in the United States. 

As a senator, Harris serves on the Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee, the Select Committee on Intelligence, the Committee on the Judiciary, and the Committee on the Budget. Harris has already made political history by being the first African-American woman to serve as California’s Attorney General and by being the first South Asian-American senator. 

After Biden announced Harris as his running mate, President Trump responded immediately to Biden’s decision. In a campaign ad, President Trump accuses Harris of attacking Biden for his racist policies during the Democratic primaries. 

When Trump was asked about his opinion of Harris, he responded, “I thought she was the meanest, most horrible, most disrespectful of anybody in the U.S. Senate.” Biden and Harris were soon after nicknamed Slow Joe and Phony Kamala by President Trump.

Harris remains vocal about racism in America. On her first solo campaign trip, Harris visited Jacob Blake’s family on September 7. Jacob Blake, a victim of police violence, was seriously injured after being shot in the back seven times by officer Rusten Sheskey on August 23. 

Harris spoke with each member of Blake’s family, including Blake, urging them to be courageous and to be vocal about systemic racism issues in America. 

Kamala Harris has the opportunity to make history as America’s first female Vice President, but before that, Biden and Harris will have to win the presidential election in November.