Nothing Could Be Finer Than the State Fair

Picture Credit: Our State Magazine

Starting October 11, 2018, the North Carolina fairgrounds will be filled with people, rides, food, and lots of smiling faces. This year’s fair will be an enjoyable one for adults and children. There are many ways to get in aside from paying for admission and tickets at the gate.

If people purchase their gate admission online before the eleventh of October, they will get a $2 discount, so the earlier they purchase the tickets, the better. When one purchases tickets online, be sure to support our school by purchasing from the Tools for Schools link. When an individual purchases a ticket, enter the code “348” in the membership box to donate $2 from your ticket to Broughton.

It is also possible to purchase gate admission for Friday, October 12, the second day of the fair for $4 off when one presents their student ID at the gate.

The best time to go to the fair based on attendance is the first day, Thursday, October 11, or the first Monday, October 15. The worst day to go is the last Saturday, October 20, as there will be almost three times as many people there than there will be on the less crowded days.

The fair opens its gates at 3 p.m. and closes at 11 p.m. on the first day it is open. It runs on a normal schedule for the remaining days, opening at 8 a.m. and closing at 11 p.m. on weekdays. It is open an extra hour on the weekends, closing at midnight.

One of the most important logistical issues that arises with the fair is parking. New this year, there is a parking lot on the corner of Reedy Creek Rd. and Edwards Mill Rd.  As long as the fair is open, the lot will be accessible to users. A free tram service will also be running from the lot to the grounds for easy access.

Another simple option is to ride the GoRaleigh or GoTriangle bus systems. For students between the ages of 13-18, a Youth GoPass is available for redemption. This pass allows teenagers to ride the bus for free. The bus gives its riders peace of mind, as it lets off directly at the fair without students having to worry about any logistical details.

Many students love to go to the fair for their unique food.

“Apex Lions Club does a pretty nice country ham biscuit,” sophomore Hugh Perry said.

Others love to get sweets and anything deep-fried.

“I love some funnel cake. This year I am waiting for the deep-fried oreos,” freshman Edwin Burgess said.

Make sure to attend the fair from October 11 – October 21!