Fashion show lets students shine

Miuccia Prada once said, “What you wear is who you present yourself to the world, especially today, when human contacts are so quick. Fashion is an instant language.”
Broughton is home to many individuals who engage in the art of this instant language.
Each year, Broughton hosts a few fashion shows, and they are largely student-involved.
There is a show coming up in February, and it is sponsored by money from Broughton’s Distinct Youth club.
It will take place on Friday, March 31, in the auditorium.
The doors open at 6, and the show starts at 7:30.
Many students will be featured in the show, and the event is open for other students to attend.
Tickets for the fashion show will be sold for $5 in the cafeteria days prior to the show and sold for $7 at the door upon show night.
Ava Closs, English teacher, and Lindsey Laster, student teacher, are at the helm of the fashion show this year.
Laster serves as the creative director, and Closs is the program coordinator. Student teacher Logan Walkcott has also been assisting at practices.
The fashion show is a Broughton tradition since 1996.
“I think it’s a way for students to be confident in themselves and express their individuality. It also brings together the community,” Laster said.
Laster has been dancing since age seven and continued her passion throughout college at Johnson C. Smith University. She is launching a website at the end of February that features original choreography.
“I think everyone should take a class where they can develop and show their creativity,” Laster said.
Thirty-two students will be participating in the show. Not only will these students get the chance to participate, but they also will receive community service. They are currently trying to obtain clothes from various local clothing stores which will be featured in the show.
“I think it’s cool to be able to dress up, and it feels professional since it’s not my own clothes,” junior Jemima LIteli said.