Serving up success

Game, set, match. This year’s women’s tennis team has started off the 2015 season with a bang. This far in the season, the girls have played a total of 12 matches including a pre-season tournament with a record of 10-2. Broughton has lost twice to Sanderson High School with a final score of 7-2 in the first match and 8-2 in the second.  

Last year, the Women’s Tennis team ended the season with a record of 18-2. Coach Andy Fowler is looking forward to another exciting year of well-played tennis.

“This is a really tough region, so my ultimate hope for the year is that we can have a few girls qualify for the state tournament. None of my Broughton girls qualified last year, so hopefully we will get a few this season,” Fowler said. “The biggest thing is to take each point as it comes. Don’t think too far in advance. Remember the basics and that tennis is a game of baby steps.”

Fowler has 25 years of tennis coaching experience on her resumé, and is excited to be back in the high school tennis environment.   

“Every team is different, and this is only my second year at Broughton. I feel more at ease with the girls this year more than last year because last year was a learning year for me and the team. Their individual personalities are very cohesive and the older girls have taken the leadership role of helping the young freshmen adjust to high school,” Fowler said.

Wynn Burrus and Alison Austin are the captains of the women’s tennis team. The two seniors work to keep the team cohesive with their leadership skills.

“My two seniors showed leadership even last year as juniors. They always set a good example for the younger players and represent the team well,” Fowler said on Austin and Burrus.

“I love that tennis is a mental game, and even though it’s an individual sport, or with one partner, I love that being on the Broughton team gives you an amazing sense of camaraderie,” Austin said.