Caps Swing for Success

With winter slowly moving out and spring moving in, golf is getting into the full swing of things here a Broughton.  This year’s team returns five of the top six scorers from last year and is looking to make its make as state champion for the second straight year.

“Winning the state championship was an awesome experience last year, and I am hoping to help this team win another trophy this year” sophomore Jimbo Stanley said.

It is on early into the golf season but the Caps have already conquered 3 conference wins and 1 non-conference wins. Broughton won the Keith Hills Invitational by 4 strokes. They were led by sophomore Jimbo Stanley and senior Harrison Rhoades.

“Early wins is great for the whole team. It builds confidence, and hopefully we can keep winning our matches” Stanley said.

This year’s team has a couple of new members as three players graduated last year. The team has five seniors (Preyer Fountain, Harrison Rhoades, Stephen Saleeby, Will Minton, and Sam Holden), two juniors (Hardy Hogan and Walker Singleton), one sophomore (Jimbo Stanley), and two freshmen (Connor Jones and Patrick Carlin). Patrick Carlin and Connor Jones are freshman who are ready to help this team achieve its goals. Patrick Carlin is one of the top six on the team.

“I’m very happy to be a part of this team and I am hoping to help the Caps be back to back state champions” Carlin said.

Fountain, Saleeby, Rhoades, and Minton have been All-Conference for their first three years on the team. Fountain won the Cap 8 Player of the Year award last year.  Fountain is currently injured and is out indefinitely.

“It was great to see all of the hard work pay off last year. We are ready to defend our title this year” Fountain said.

Fountain has signed to play golf at the University of North Carolina Chapel-Hill. Rhoades has signed to play golf at Georgetown University, and Saleeby has signed to play golf at the University of North Carolina Wilmington.

The Caps got off to a great start Tuesday March 10. In the first conference match of the year the Capitals holed an 8 stroke victory.

“It felt good to play in our first match of the year. With all of the days we missed because of snow it was good to shed some rust in our match” Hogan said.

Will Minton led the team and was a match medalist with a score of 33. Harrison Rhoades provided a strong score of 34. Saleeby and Carlin finished their rounds both with 37’s to round out the scoring. Stanley finished the day with a 38 and Hogan rounded out his day with a 42.

With a talented and experienced team the Capitals are looking to achieve their goals of Cap 8 champs and state champions.